Side Menu
Kent Institute Australia | FAQ
Kent Institute Australia is a successful Australian higher education and vocational training provider, with campuses centrally located in Sydney and Melbourne; close to all amenities with access to public transport.
Kent Institute Australia, Kent Institute, KIA, Certificate IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Bachelor, Bachelor Degree, Certificate IV in Marketing and Communication, Certificate IV in Accounting, Diploma of Accounting, Diploma Of Marketing and Communication, Diploma Of Project Management, Diploma of Leadership and Management, Advanced Diploma of Marketing and Communication, Advanced Diploma Of Leadership and Management, Advanced Diploma Of Program Management, Certificate IV in Web-Based Technologies, Diploma of Website Development, Diploma of Digital Media Technologies, Advanced Diploma of Information Technology, Bachelor of business, Bachelor Of Business – Double Specialisation, Accelerated Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Of Accounting, Bachelor Of Information Technology, Bachelor Of IT, The Centre of Academic Excellence Pty Ltd, UTS, University of Technology Sydney, ACU, Australian Catholic University, IIBT, International Institute of Business Technologies, ACS, Australian Computer Society, ACPET, Australian Council for Private Education and Training, TGA, Training gov au, Sydney, Melbourne, Study in Australia, Renowned institute in Australia, VET Course, Vocational Education Training, Higher Education, Higher Education Degree, Business, Information Technology, International Students, SVP Approved Provider, Streamlined Visa Processing, Registered training Organisations, RTOs, CPA, Certified Public Accountant, Federal Department of Education & Training, Overseas Students

Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions


Our team members answer a lot of questions from current, prospective and alumni students here at Kent. This page has been established for students to use as a reference tool to answer any questions that may arise throughout your studies here. The FAQs page covers many different areas from applying to study at Kent all the way to graduation day. If you have a question that is not covered below then please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing


Does Kent have a Student Pre-Arrival Guide for International Students?

Yes! Click here to read our comprehensive guide.

How can I apply to study with Kent?

Great choice! Click here to see more information about the application process.

Can I apply via an education agent?

Yes! Click here to find an agent nearest to you.

What are the Admission Criteria to Kent courses?

Kent has academic and English entry criteria for all courses; some courses have additional pre-requisite requirements for entry. More information is on our Admissions Criteria page.

I have a conditional offer- what does that mean?

You must provide evidence of meeting the conditions outlined on your Offer of Admission prior to commencing the course. If for any reason you know that you will not be able to meet the specified conditions you should not accept the offer.

How do I accept my Offer of Admission?

You will need to read and sign your Offer of Admission Enrolment Agreement on all pages and send this to along with evidence of the initial deposit payment. More information is available here.

How do I apply for Course Credit or Recognition of Prior Learning in my course based on my previous studies or work experience?

Applicants who have undertaken any higher education study, Vocational Education and Training (VET) study or have worked in the related industry within the last ten years, may be eligible for admission to a Kent course with credit transfers (advanced standing). For more information on this process, visit the Course Credit / Recognition of Prior Learning page.


The total course credit granted for prior learning external to Kent will not exceed 50% of the course.

International Students

Immigration is notified of changes to course length at the time advanced standing is granted. If Course Credit or Recognition of Prior Learning is granted, the actual net course duration (as reduced by course credit granted) will be indicated on the student’s Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).

When do I get my Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)?

Upon receipt of your paid fees and signed Enrolment Agreement (send to, Kent will issue you with your COE within two working days. International students us a COE to apply for, or maintain a student visa.

How do I arrange my Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

Kent can organise OSHC for you through our preferred provider – Bupa, and an invoice for this is mentioned on your Offer of Admission. For more information about what your OSHC would cover if you organised it through Kent, please refer to detailed information on their website


International students in Australia are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of their stay in Australia. Students with dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must also obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products and you can decide who you organise your cover through.

Who can help me organise my accommodation?

For information on arranging accommodation, click here.


If you still need more help, contact or phone +612 9093 5151.

How do I apply for a visa?

The Department of Home Affairs provides the most current information about student visa requirements and application procedures. Apply for your visa through your Kent approved migration agent or for more information on applying for your own visa visit

What is Kent’s policy on Access and Equity?

Kent is committed to providing an environment that upholds the principles of social justice, equity, diversity and social inclusion. Kent strives to build a vibrant community, which respects the inherent dignity of the individual and values the unique knowledge, skills, abilities, life skills and competencies that each person can contribute to learning and workplace culture. View our Access and Equity Policy here.

How can I make a complaint about the Admissions Process?

Access information about Kent’s complaint and Appeals processes here.

What is Orientation Week 'O Week’?

Orientation is your chance to find your bearings on campus and meet other students before classes start. It is also about welcoming you to the Kent community, and making sure your experience here is the best possible. You will be given lots of advice and useful contacts to help you thrive and succeed in your personal and academic endeavours.


The events offered will vary depending on whether you are a commencing student in Vocational Education and Training courses or Higher Education courses.


New students will receive emails regarding the time and date of orientation sessions, if you have any specific questions about this process you can email for more information.

Is Orientation Week ‘O Week’ Compulsory?

Yes. Student Orientation is compulsory and is a key step to successful integration for all new students. If you miss the first sessions, you will be required to attend the late orientation sessions applicable for your course.

How do I get my student ID card?

All Kent students are issued with a Student Identification Card when they enrol. On the day you enrol, you will have your photo taken for your student ID card. Your ID card from the IT Help Desk after this day. Students are required to have these cards on them at all times whilst on a Kent campus.

How do I enrol?

Higher Education Students

At the beginning of each Trimester, and before being able to attend any classes, students must finalise their tuition fees and see the Higher Education Administrator on their campus to receive course advice, and enrol into their units. When receiving course advice, each student must select the units to be studied and will receive academic advice about their choice of Units. Students are advised to check the pre-requisite Units that are required before the enrolment date in order to facilitate this process. Once enrolled, students are eligible to attend classes, access computer laboratories and the Library.


Vocational Education (VET) Students

Students must come into the campus and contact the Academic team on Level 1 to finalise enrolment into a new course of study. This may also be done during the orientation session. Continuing VET students will be automatically enrolled in all study periods until completion of the course unless they have outstanding fees, or need to come in for an academic intervention. Once enrolled, students are eligible to attend classes, access computer laboratories, and the Library.

How do I get my timetable?

Once you have enrolled you will be able to log-on to our online course administration platform (called SIS) and see your timetable.

What should I wear to class?

Dress requirements are neat casual or business attire. Please note that shorts and thongs are not considered suitable attire.

How do I access the online systems?

During enrolment, you are provided with a computer access form, which details your personal system access information. These details can be used to login to any of Kent’s online systems which are available from the side menu on the website.

How do log on to my Kent email address?

Students are provided with an email account, which is the official means of communication with students. Students are required to check their student email account every two days during study periods and can see the IT Helpdesk for assistance in having the account added to their smart phone. Students can access their emails by clicking on Student Email on the side menu bar on the website.


Your email address is, for example:

Are there computers, printing, scanning and copying facilities available?

Yes. Student computers are available for all students inside the library during library operating hours; as well as inside the study lab; available during campus operating hours. Scanning is available for free and sent via email.
Printing and photocopying facilities are available to students within the library and on most levels within the campus.


Charges for printing and photocopying are as follows:

Size Cost
A4 Black & White 10 cents per page
A4 Colour 20 cents per page
A3 Black & White 20 cents per page
A3 Colour 40 cents per page

How do I add credit on my ID card to use the printers and copiers?

Students can load money on to their Student Identification Card at the Student Payments Office. Each recharge must be a minimum of $10.

What are the library opening hours?


Kent’s Sydney Library is located on the Mezzanine Level, 10 Barrack Street, Sydney.
Opening hours are 10am – 6pm Monday to Friday.



Kent’s Melbourne Library is located on Level 9, 350 Queen Street, Melbourne.
Opening hours are 9:30am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday.

Does Kent have library fines?

Yes, students who do not comply with the Kent Library borrowing system and do not return loaned Library resources in a timely manner will incur the following charges:

Loan Type (each book) 0-13 Days Overdue 14-89 Days Overdue 90+ Days Overdue
7 day loan No fees – Borrowing privileges blocked $10 fee Book cost + 20% fee
2 day loan $1 fee per DAY up to a maximum of $20 $1 fee per DAY up to a maximum of $20 Book cost + 20% fee
3 hour loan $1 fee per HOUR up to a maximum of $20 $1 fee per HOUR up to a maximum of $20 Book cost + 20% fee


A student with an overdue Library book(s) and incurring fines totalling $20.00 or more will be issued with an Invoice for payment in full within 5 working days from the date of the Invoice. If Kent does not receive payment of the Invoice within 5 working days, and the Library book is not returned to the Library, an ‘IT sanction’ will be placed on the student’s account. This will not allow access to the Kent’s Student Information System (SIS) and Moodle and will restrict the student’s access to request documentation until the student has settled payment.


Students will be invoiced the book cost plus a 20% administration fee if:

  • A student has not returned a book within a 90 day period; or
  • A student has returned a book which is damaged beyond reasonable use.


Overdue Library Book Charges which are in excess of $100 and remain unpaid for 20 days may be passed to Kent’s external debt collection agency for recovery and will restrict future enrolments until paid.

What activities and events can I get involved in?

Check out our events calendar!
Kent holds many extracurricular events and activities for students all throughout the year. The purpose of these is to increase engagement and collegiality amongst the student cohort, help students adjust to studying and life in Australia and to provide opportunities for students to build on their own professional skills ready for the workplace.


Students can email for more information or register their attendance for an event to get involved.

What is the Student LEAD program?

Leadership, Experience and Development (LEAD) Program
Kent’s LEAD program gives aspiring leaders an opportunity to build leadership capacity, interpersonal communication and gain skills for future employment. Students earn points for participation in key activities, events and volunteering opportunities throughout the year. All students who accumulate 100 points or more over the year will be awarded with a Kent LEAD Program certificate for their portfolios. The student who accumulates the highest number of points will be awarded the Kent LEAD Ambassador of the year certificate and trophy and will be nominated by Kent to enter into the City of Sydney/Melbourne International Student of the Year Award competition. The Kent LEAD Ambassador of the Year will also receive significant media coverage through social platforms, website, YouTube and newsletters.

Does Kent have student groups?

Student Representative Groups (SRG)
Kent has an SRG made up of students in both the Sydney and Melbourne campuses who meet independently throughout the year to discuss key topics raised by Kent and student lead ideas and concerns. Click here for more information on the SRG.

I need legal help, who can I see?

Students can contact Student Services who can assist them in gaining access to Legal Services.

Free legal advice and information can be obtained by telephone by calling Law Access NSW Legal Help Line 1300 888 529 for the cost of a local call, or by visiting their website: Law Access NSW is a free, referral and advice service open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.


International students can also receive free legal advice from the Redfern Legal Centre; visit for more information.



In Melbourne, free legal advice and information can be obtained from Legal Aid Victoria Free Call 1800 060 1777 or by visiting their website: (Operates 24/7)

All calls are answered by information officers who can explain:

  • Legal aid policies and services
  • How to apply for legal aid
  • How to get help with your legal problem

How can I pay my fees?

For information on how to make a payment, click here.

When are my fees due?

Tuition fees are required to be paid in accordance with the Student Payments Policy & Procedure and by the dates included on a student’s Offer of Admission – Enrolment Agreement. Students are not enrolled until all fees have been paid.


Students can check their next payment due dates at any time by logging on to their Student Information System (SIS) account.


Email for more information.

Can I pay in instalments?

The approved instalment due dates are those listed on a student’s Offer of Admission – Enrolment Agreement.

What if I can’t pay my fees by the due date?

Kent may approve an extension of time to pay tuition fees in exceptional or compelling circumstances. To apply for an extension of time to pay the Student Fee Extension Application must be completed and submitted in person at the Student Payments Office or emailed to (Documents > Student Policies and Forms > FORM – Student Fee Extension Application – Login Required)

What is a USI?

Students who enrol into Vocation Education (VET) courses must provide Kent with a USI number.


The Unique Student Identifier or USI is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:

  • creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, even from different training organisations
  • will give you access to your training records and transcripts (available in late 2016)
  • can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
  • is free and easy to create and
  • stays with you for life


Visit to create your USI free of charge.

Is my feedback on teaching and other aspects of my experience at Kent actually used?



Feedback is critical to Kent in order to continually improve the learning experience for students. All students are encouraged to provide feedback at any time. Student Feedback is collected in the:

  • Orientation Survey
  • Student Satisfaction Survey and Teaching Evaluation Survey
  • Feedback boxes available on campus
  • Feedback link available in students SIS account
  • Graduate Surveys


If you provided your feedback anonymously, check noticeboards and screens for announcements on any changes made as a result. If you provided your details, you will receive direct contact to inform you about what we did with your feedback.

Does Kent have a counsellor for students?

Yes. Personal Counselling services are available to all students free of charge and may take the form of advice or referral to other services.


Kent caters to diverse student learning needs and aims to identify and respond to the learning needs of all students. We know that students need to be able to manage all areas of their life in order to achieve academically. We also know that as most of our students are studying a long way from their family and usual support systems and it’s possible they may experience more challenges than local students. Students are encouraged to express their views about their learning needs at all stages of their learning experience.


Personal counselling services include but are not limited to:

  • Grievance /conflict resolution
  • Stress and anxiety management
  • Life skills and time management
  • Access and equity issues
  • Student welfare and support
  • General wellbeing and healthy living


Lydia, the Student Engagement and Wellbeing Co-ordinator, is available to counsel students in these areas either over the phone, via Skype, or in person. Any students who would like to access this service should contact Lydia, who is a qualified counsellor, by phone on +61 2 9093 5125 or through email to organise a confidential appointment.

Does Kent have Career Services?

Yes. Kent’s Careers Services portal offers current and alumni students a state of the art resource tool to assist them in looking for employment and preparing for the application and interview process. The portal contains learning modules, activities and job search functions for skill and knowledge development when applying for industry jobs. The Careers Service portal offers the following resources:

  • CV Builder
  • Cover Letter Builder
  • Interview Simulator
  • Elevator Pitch Simulator
  • Search Function for Industry Jobs
  • Advice from Current Employers
  • Self-Development & Career Management Tools


Logging in:
Students can access the Careers Service portal in two easy steps:

  1. Click here to go to the login page.
  2. Login using your Kent student email address and password.

Kent also runs Job Ready workshops and individual ‘drop in’ career consultation times. See our events calendar to view times, and register your attendance.

How do I get help with academic skills such as report & essay writing, researching, oral presentations and exam preparation?

Kent is committed to ensuring that all students receive adequate learning support to ensure their full potential is reached.


Academic Learning Support (ALS) is available for all students free of charge.


What do I do if I cannot submit an assessment on time?

Higher Education Students

  • If you intend to submit an assignment late, you must obtain approval from your lecturer. Your lecturer will approve an extension of time if there are extenuating circumstances.
  • If you submit an assignment late without approval, your mark will have 5% deducted for each working day it is late.
  • No late assignments will be accepted after 10 days following the submission date.
  • You may be eligible for a supplementary assessment on the basis of medical or compassionate grounds providing you submit a request within three (3) working days of the assessment due date.


Vocational Education (VET) Students

  • A student is eligible to apply for a Supplementary Assessment based on medical or extenuating circumstances, which have prevented the student from submitting an assessment item.
  • To apply for Supplementary Assessment a student must complete the Supplementary Assessment Form available in the forms section of SIS, or from the VET Administration Counter. This must be submitted to the VET Administrator within three (3) working days of the due date for the assessment task or examination scheduled date.

How can I apply for a review of the grade I was awarded?

Higher Education Students
Students may apply for a review of grade if they believe a clerical error has been made or when assessment requirements specified in the unit outline were varied.


Applications for a review of grade must be made on the Review of Grade Application Form within seven (7) working days of the official notification of the final results. (Documents > Student Policies and Forms > FORM – Review of Grade Application – Login required)


Vocational Education (VET) Students
To apply for a review of grade, students should see the VET Administrator, or Head of Vocational Education on Level 1 and request a review within seven (7) working days of grade release date.

What happens if I commit plagiarism or cheat?

If a student is suspected of plagiarism or cheating, the lecturer/trainer will report the student to the Associate Dean or Head of Vocational Education, who will meet with the student and assess the case. If cheating or plagiarism is found to have occurred, the student will receive a fail or NYC grade and will have to attend an Academic Learning Workshop on referencing.


If a student is reported for plagiarism or cheating a third time, he/she is required to attend an Academic Misconduct Tribunal and may have his/her enrolment cancelled.

What happens if I fail a Unit or receive a grade of NYC?

In general, students who receive an unsuccessful grade will be required to repeat the Subject or Unit again; including paying any relevant fees and this may involve an extension to the course end date. Students in this circumstance should see the Student Services team for advice on this process.


Other Options:

  • Students may apply for a review of grade, deferred exam, and supplementary assessment or exams in certain circumstances
  • Higher Education students will be automatically offered a supplementary exam if their final mark for the unit is between 45 and 49. Supplementary exams are normally held in Week 2 of the following trimester. Eligible students will be informed of date and time of the supplementary exam by Kent email.

Can I take a break from my studies?

Students currently undertaking a course of study who have been, or will be absent from classes for a period of time which impacts their ability to complete the block or trimester should apply for an approved leave or suspension by completing the Student Request for Leave or Suspension of Enrolment Application Form (Documents > Student Policies and Forms > FORM – Student Request for Leave or Suspension of Enrolment Application – Login required) Students must attach a medical certificate and/or other supporting evidence of compassionate or extenuating circumstances. Compassionate or extenuating circumstances are generally those beyond the control of the student and which have an impact upon the student’s course progress or wellbeing.


Where the reason for leave is not due to the students own medical treatment in Australia, additional evidence may be requested such as proof of relationship, carer nomination and flight details. Periods of Leave or Suspension will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs and may affect the student’s visa. A student’s request for suspension of studies will be considered in accordance with the Student Suspension and Cancellation of Enrolment Policy & Procedure.


Where exceptional circumstances do not exist students will be required to study all scheduled periods according to the relevant Academic Calendar. The only exception to this is if a higher education student has already studied eight (8) units in the first and second trimester within the year and wishes to take a break from study in the third trimester (summer). In this case, the student is eligible to take a break from studies without submitting a formal application.

How long can I stay in Australia on my student visa after my course is finished?

Kent will inform the Department of Home Affairs that you have completed your studies on the date that your final grade is released.


Your student visa will be valid for 28 days after your final grade release date, unless it expires sooner.


In order to comply with your visa conditions you must either depart Australia within this time, or apply for another Australian Visa.

When is the graduation ceremony?

Kent conducts one graduation ceremony annually in December. This event is the official conferral of a student’s award and qualification, the ceremony also marks a celebration of their academic achievements at Kent and is a time to celebrate with staff, family and friends. Click here for more information.

What happens after I graduate?

Kent wants to keep in touch with all Alumni; there are special networking events organised each year, free workshops and other incentives to stay in touch. We want to celebrate your successes, so please keep us up to date with your career endeavours!


Click here for more information, and to provide your updated details.