Side Menu
Kent Institute Australia | FEE-HELP
FEE-HELP offers financial assistance to eligible students studying higher education qualifications



FEE-HELP offers financial assistance to eligible students studying higher education qualifications.


It’s available to eligible students who are:

  • Australian Citizens, Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders or Permanent Visa holders
  • Students undertaking bridging study for an overseas course
  • Studying a course leading to higher education (such as a Bachelor Degree, Gradate Diploma, or Doctorate)
  • Meet tax file number requirements
  • Have not exceeded the FEE help loan limit ($99,389 in 2016)


Download the FEE-HELP booklet


Which Kent courses is FEE HELP available for?


FEE-HELP is available for two Kent courses:



Am I eligible for assistance?


Generally assistance is restricted to those who are Australian or NZ citizens, or who hold a Permanent Residence Visa. You must also have been living in Australia for more than 6 months.


Further eligibility requirements differ between schemes and courses, so if you have any questions please call us on +612 9093 5151 or contact us.


How does the scheme work?


The Government will pay for the entire course cost upfront and you can begin making repayments slowly through the tax system when you start earning over the yearly threshold.


When will I have to repay?


You have to start repaying your HELP debt through the taxation system once your repayment income is above the compulsory repayment threshold, even if you are still studying. The compulsory repayment threshold is adjusted each year. The compulsory repayment threshold for the 2015-2016 income year is $54,126. For 2016-2017, the compulsory repayment threshold will be $54,869.


Repayment income is calculated from the amounts given on your income tax return for:

  • your taxable income;
  • reportable fringe benefits (reported on your payment summary);
  • total net investment loss (which includes net rental loss);
  • reportable super contributions; and
  • exempt foreign employment income amounts.


How do I apply?


If you’d like to apply for FEE-HELP, you’ll need to fill out the relevant application form in person at our admission desk.

You must complete this form before the census date for which you are requesting FEE-HELP assistance. Please note, the government-issued duplicate form is the only valid paper version of this form. PDF printouts are not valid and you will not be eligible for Commonwealth assistance if you submit a PDF printout of this form.


Can I apply part way through my course?


Yes, as long as the census date for the unit of study has not passed.

*The Census date is the official deadline for finalising your enrolment for the trimester. You may only choose to withdraw or defer from a subject until this date, as once it has passed you’re committed to your enrolment for the study period. Census dates vary each term.


What if I need to cancel my studies?


If you have applied for FEE-HELP and then decided to cancel your studies, you must withdraw your enrolment in each unit of study before the census date or you’ll incur debt.


How do I get a Tax File Number?


To apply for a Tax File Number, visit the Australian Taxation Office website.


What is a CHESSN?


When you enrol at Kent you’ll be allocated a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) if you don’t already have one. It’s a unique identifier that helps Kent to manage your FEE-HELP application.